Computer troubleshooting, repair, setup, and service
PCdoctors&trade understand the internal workings of your computer(s) and network(s).
- Processor, Memory, Hard Disk, Motherboard
- Sound Card, Video Card, Network Interface Card, Modem
- Floppy Disk Drive, ZIP Drive, CD Drive
- Printer, Scanners, Digital Cameras
- Install more RAM and/or upgrade to a faster CPU / motherboard
- Add additional storage devices (internal or external)
- Install Multimedia Devices (sound/video)
- Add a CD Burner or DVD Drive for faster / additional backup
The case and cooling fans and the electromagnetic fields in personal and business computers attract airborne contaminates and dust into the computer's delicate circuitry.
Over time, this accumulation creates a blanket on the computer's integrated circuitry and hardware components, which may cause the floppy, CD and hard drives to malfunction. The integrated circuit chips overheat and eventually the computer system malfunctions.
Generally you should clean your computer every 3-6 months. If you use your computer often and if it's in a very dusty environment then you should clean it sooner (every 3-4 months). If you use your computer sparingly in a fairly dust free environment you don't need to clean it as often (every 5-6 months). Also, if your computer sits on the floor (rather than on a desk) then obviously the case fan will draw-in more dust.
The inside of the computer case is the most important area that needs cleaning. Removing dust from the computer vents restores the normal internal air circulation. However, if dust is not removed from the circuit boards then the accumulation can slow down or interfere with the air flow over and around the boards. Cleaning the inside of your computer prevents the components from overheating. Of particular importance to newer computers with powerful processors is removing dust and contaminants from the fan or heat sink which cools the CPU chip itself.
PCdoctors&trade understand the safe methods of opening the case and cleaning the components. A half-hour to an hour of cleaning can save you hundreds of dollars in replacing components.
The cleaning checklist includes
- Exterior of computer case cleaned
- Interior of computer case vacuumed
- Dust removed from all internal boards and sockets
- Fans (and vents) cleaned and fans lubricated if needed
- Data cables cleaned and checked
- All internal (and external) drives cleaned and tested
- Monitor, keyboard, mouse cleaned
- External cable connections checked
- Printers and scanners cleaned and checked
Spyware, malware, and trojan removal
If you have had programs unexpectedly installing on your system, popping up advertisements, changing (hijacking) your home page (or start page), modifying your search results, dialing out or the like then your system has been compromised by some spyware, adware, trojan, hijacker or dialer software program.
Technically, this means that a program or groups of programs have been installed on your system without your consent or knowledge.
These programs report something back to the software writer or website that installed them. And this happens whether it be websites that you consciously visit or simply whenever you turn-on your computer or start-up your Internet browser.
Adware is a program that displays advertisements on your computer. These are in addition to the usual advertisements you see on the web pages that you visit. Adware pop-up advertising windows on your system are not necessarily generated by the websites you happen to visit, but rather by programs that remain stored on your hard drive and are executed at intervals determined by the adware writer or company.
Dialers are programs that get installed on your system and try to dial out to some telephone line somewhere, sometimes incurring expensive phone bills.
Keyloggers record the keystrokes you type on your computer (some are more sophisticated in capturing screen shots, etc) and either log them or report them to the person who installed them. These Trojans are the most dangerous, transmitting your passwords, bank accounts, and credit card information.
As a group, these malicious programs can wreck havoc on your system; causing system crashes, slow response, or even steal your important personal or business data.
PCdoctors&trade understand applications of anti-spyware programs. Some are free, others are available at a nominal cost. Infections have reached a level whereby removal can be a tricky process. It's no longer as simple as using a tool like 'Spybot - Search & Destroy' or Ad-Aware and getting the computer like new again. The aim of a PCdoctor&trade is to provide safe methods for removing malware which includes a step by step assessment, analysis and removal process.
Software purchase, technical, upgrades, and troubleshooting advice
Do you need help with your computer's software? A PCdoctor&trade can install your software for you, or troubleshoot existing installations. PCdoctors&trade also regularly provide clients with upgrade methodology to keep operating and application programs current.
Business network installations and support
- Ethernet Networks These types of networks use special cables to connect your different computers and peripheral devices. PCdoctors&trade can assist with the purchasing and installation of the necessary hardware and configuration of the network in your office. PCdoctors&trade are also on call to perform upgrades (adding client computers) and with general system maintenance.
- Wireless (Wi-Fi) Networks Wireless networking is now widely available and is a common method of connecting computers. Instead of using wires to transmit data, your computers will communicate via radio frequency transmissions. Also, laptops connected wirelessly can be used anywhere in your office. But, wireless networks demand additional security methods to prevent others (outside your office) from accessing your valuable data.
Home network setup and support
Home networks are growing in popularity. With your computers networked, you can:
- Allow two or more computers to share a single Internet connection (dialup, DSL or Cable) using hard-wire or wire-less connections
- Share a single printer between computers
- Share files such as images, spreadsheets and documents
- Play multiplayer games that allow users at different computers
Internet and email connections
Having trouble with a new or existing Internet connection. PCdoctors&trade understand dial-up, DSL, Cable, and other modes of Internet access.
One on one and workgroup training
Do you just need someone to show you how to burn or record a CD, attach files, keep your system maintained?
New users are sometimes frustrated and need one-on-one assistance at their computer to learn and get started using their computers. Public computer training classes can be helpful; however, one-on-one training allows the user to learn at their pace and have someone give them undivided attention. One-on one training also lets the user get training specific to their computer software and needs.
Many of the PCdoctor&trade personal computer trainers have been in the training industry for over 30 years. They have extensive training experience working with new and experienced users who need to learn computing and Internet skills. Some trainers are former and current college, community college, and high-school instructors and professors.
You can learn to use:
- Windows variants (XP and Enterprise)
- How to maintain your desktop: backups, virus software, and more
- E-Mail and Internet
- Make effective use of your Internet service; AOL, Bellsouth, Charter, Earthlink, RoadRunner, etc.
- Work with e-mail attachments
- Microsoft Office, Outlook, Word, Excel, Access, and PowerPoint
- Digital software, cameras, and scanners
- Web Development software packages
- Build, update and maintain websites
Are you playing russian roulette with your important data?
Disaster can strike at any moment. It can take the form of natural occurrences, or in the form of fire, theft, sabotage, hardware failure, or user error. Any of these occurrences of data loss can severely threaten your personal or company's success.
Who can predict the next power outage, natural disaster, rampaging virus or human error that will bring your system and your business to a halt?
Imagine the cost of losing these files:
- Payroll & Accounting Personnel
- Clients & Vendors
- Correspondence & Manuscripts
- Email & Word Processing
- Art, Graphics & Photos
- Spreadsheets & Databases
- Plans & Proposals
- Programs & Macros
Allow the PCdoctor&trade the opportunity to assist you in developing a backup plan for your home or business system. The plan will be reliable, simple, and affordable.
Developing an Internet presence begins with the Preparation phase and proceeds through the phases of Design, Marketing and Maintenance. Each step must be thoroughly investigated, studied and implemented for optimum results.
Search Engine Optimization
The top three search engines are currently Google, MSN, and Yahoo. Once each engine finds a site then that engine will crawl through each page, indexing and ranking the content. This process will continue over the life of the site.
The results are indexed according to rankings called SERPs. "SERP" is an abbreviation for "Search Engine Results Page". The SEO (Search Engine Optimization) struggle is about getting into the top SERPs on various search engines for specified keywords and key phrases.
It is a common belief that Google ranks sites according to over 100 quality points. When a page is indexed the information is extracted from the site and is processed through a complex set of algorithms. The algorithms determine a site's value. Many of these ranking factors are proprietary, hidden from public knowledge. From experience we tend to know which quality factors the SE's hold in priority and weigh more heavily.
Of most importance to the search engines are content depth and uniqueness. That is, most highly ranked sites have many pages of useful information. The more useful information provided, the better the chance of being ranked higher.
Click here for more information on web site services.
For web site hosting and offsite backup, many PCdoctors&trade recommend